From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Jefsey
Morfin
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 3:57 AM
To: Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law; Peter Dengate-Thrush
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Status of the Review Task Force

Dear Peter and Michael,
Two issues there:

1) from the ALSC report - the ccTLD are not trusted TLDs. Our problem is
avoid an RSC (root service centers) disagreements. USG root by ICANN,
China, could be Europe, Value Added Roots, etc... This calls for having
their different Root Server Galaxies coordinated (10 of the 13 ICANN
root
servers on the US soil is already a major reliability problem). I have
no
problem in having the ICANN assuming the secretariat the "Internet
Campus".

2) as far as the ICANN structure is concerned: rather than every
constituency becoming an SO, the simplest would be to accept that
Constituencies are the basic ICANN component, that several are missing,
and
that they share their common concerns and advices to the BoD through the

various SOs they may be concerned with. The SOs being permanent
constituency specialized WGs with their own dedicated Council and GA.

It is necessary that NICs - i.e. ccTLD Managers as the trustee of their
LIC
[attending to their LIC real needs is their source of revenues if they
want
to  survive] - should belong to a NICSO. This will help them developing,

innovating in different areas, creating ad-hoc joint services, regional
alliances... The Internet Users Constituency, the BC Constituency, the
SMEConstituency, ISPs should belong to such an SO too. Special ties with

the GAC and a Consumer organizations Consultative Council to be
formed  would help them.

It is obvious that ccTLDs - as Registries (please reread RFC 1591) -
should
stay in DNSO dedicated to DNServices issues with gTLDs, sTLDs,
Registrars,
Registrants, Internet Users, ISPs and IPC.

It seems strange they do not share in the ASO for IP addresses and in
PSO
for innovation, language, documentation  etc ... issues.

Please let forget a minute Joe Sims and his outdated organizational and
no-members concepts, the local Californian law and the US Tax system. As

one of the new members asked me "when do they talk about the Internet?".

Let get real. Let open the windows and look outside!
This is the Internet, not the USPS ...

Jefsey