From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Eric
Dierker
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 7:24 AM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: [ga] 3 Ownership Questions

It has come to pass that we now have several ownership questions which
may come down to only three on final analysis.

ICANN ownership. (can it really be that no one owns a corporation, which
contracts with the US Gov.) Domain Name ownership. (if there are no
ownership rights then what are
they)
Internet Ownership. ( The US government certainly contracts as though it
is a US public resource) At-Large Ownership. (otherwise known as
membership) ccTLD Ownership. (constantly changing)

Most folks have some understanding of Deeds and Leases.  Few understand
Fee Simple Absolutes and Land Lease issues with federal governments.  It
is important that these type of property interests developed over time.
Now we have a new type of property and we need in the first order of
business to set up stable rules for definition and use.  I am not
concerned with the definitions as a philosophical matter as in what is
Justice.

We simply need to come up with a framework to handle these issues so
that those in authority cannot change the rules as they go along.

I note specifically the At-Large Draft changing, by faulty analysis, the
meaning of Internet User to a Domain Name Holder from an accredited
ICANN registrar.  I can only assume that soon ccTLDs and Domain Names
outside of ICANNs contractual sphere will be told to buy an ICANN Domain
Name or retire their membership in any ICANN organization.

Transferability; If you cannot be sure what right you transfer or
receive that creates an instability and needs to be remedied.

I cite in general reference Karls' writings on ICANN's ownership, Ms.
Ronys' site on historical and current documentation and the ongoing list
of what is a domain name.  Of course a few years of study of feudalism,
liaise faire, communism, US zoning laws and colonialism is a good basis
for evaluating property rights.

The GA should address these issues on an ongoing basis and create its'
own review to complete the work.

Sincerely,
Eric