Technical Whois/DNS question (was Re: [ga] Summary ...)

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Information on this centralized WHOIS is to be found at:
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/registry-agmt-appw-com-16apr01.h
[snip]
> This centralized WHOIS database raises many policy issues, especially with
> regard to privacy.  I would hope that the NC chooses to add this topic to
> their agenda and that policy matters can be resolved and honored prior to
> being presented with a "fait accompli" by VeriSign.

Is there any good reason whois information is not simply embedded in DNS?
Require every zone to include contact info. Enforce that with software.
Allow optional addition of contact info for each A record.

This says nothing about the vital questions of what contact info should be
provided, what restrictions on its use are reasonable, and how to enforce
those restrictions.

It does, however, neatly avoid the other problems of having to design and
run a centralised whois service.