From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of L
Gallegos
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 8:48 PM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [ga] Funding of ICANN Board candidate travel expenses and
Election timing.

On 20 Aug 2001, at 19:38, Peter de Blanc wrote:

> Now as to your comment "Either all candidates should be provided
> travel and hotel, or none, IMO.", well, several candidates are already

> coming, and presumably have managed to pay for their travel. So only a

> few candidates remain. Why should I, or ICANN donate travel money to
> someone who already has a (paid) ticket? I would rather donate MY
> money to those who need it! And I am willing to do so!

All the more reason to fund those who do not have paid tickets.  It
is laudable that you have funds to contribute, Peter.  However, it
may not be so for many who would like to be in that position.  It is
ultimately much more fair to fund those who cannot do so
themselves and ensure participation by all candidates.

As I said, given the time frame, it is impossible for these
candidates to apply for grants, have them approved and secure
tickets in time to make the meeting.  If directors traveled economy,
there would certainly be sufficient funds available for candidates'
travel.

My only concern is fairness.  It would be a mistake, IMO, to have
some candidates physically participate and exclude others due to
financial considerations.

Leah