RE: [ga] Funding of ICANN Board candidate travel expenses

On 05:38 20/08/01, Peter de Blanc said:
>Thank you, Joop for that confirmation of, well, not only availability,
>but actual funding.
>Peter de Blanc

Actually not, Peter.
It only says that you cannot use them for practical reasons. Unless you
want the BoD Members to be professional politicians. The candidates are
people nominated by others. Then they have to accept. Then they have to be
endorsed.

If they have not prepared their candidacy months in advance - meaning they
planed a takeover by themselves of the ICANN - they are too late to get
funded.

I was warned about my nomination by one person in advance. I first
considered to go to Montevideo at my own expenses then to find a co-sponsor.

But I said and will keep my word that it would be unfair to Joana and Eric,
if they did be there too. As you noted a trip to Montevideo is at least $
2500 from Paris, probably $ 2300 from NY. I went to shop for $ 7300. I
found them. And then we considered that the money would be far better spent
for computers and teachers in an African school we support.

 From Paris to LA, with taxi-cab, foods and 3 nights at a Motor-Inn my cost
is around $800. So less than $ 2300 for 3 (Joana being in NY, Eric and I
sharing cabs).

So $ 5000 would be just us paying to match the AmerICANN "circus"
foolishness at traveling the world (at company and ICANN expense) what
helps the ICANN not to be organized as it should.

I would be really interested if we added all the travel expenses by ICANN
meeting attendees over one year and compared with what they would have been
should all the meetings have been held in MdR.

Jefsey