From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Joop
Teernstra
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 11:11 PM
To: earl@pheather.com
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Funding of ICANN Board candidate travel expenses

At 19:22 19/08/01 -0600, pheather wrote:
>So much for a level playing field for all candidates. Instead, those
>with the deepest pockets and the richest supporters are given
>advantage.

Not to mention that those who do sacrifice for ICANN from their own
pocket,
will always have their motives questioned.

For the record: my trip to Montevideo is this time (unexpectedly)
provided
for by Salzburg Seminar (markle/ford foundation).
The members of the IDNO  decided in a vote last week that membership of
the
NCDNHC does not stand in the way of providing the framework for a
separate
IDN holders constituency.

What Peter said:
>For instance, as a requirement, anyone requesting or
>requiring funding for meetings, travel, ect. a Form should be made
>available and a time limit to send in your requests for funding for
>travel or whatever, even partial funding for travel, and reviewed with
>a certain amount set aside for this purpose. once the requests have met

>that amount, any other requests would be denied or reviewed
>independently for additional funds for these or other purposes.

is practiced by the Salzburg Seminar ICANN travel project. The only
problem
is that their rules ("NCDNHC members only") need to be adapted so that
funding will also be available for ICANN Board candidates , GA Chairs or
GA
representatives to NC task forces.

--Joop