Re: [ga] Resolution for Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Supporting Organization

I am reading this NCDNH statement with somewhat mixed feelings.

Two comments:

1. The first ICANN Board Director ever elected by the DNSO was
   Alexandro Pisanty, as a NCDNH candidate.
   The "Who voted for whom" record may be visited at:
   http://www.dnso.org/votes/vote02/fullrecord/whowhom-b04.html
   and the election summary at:
   http://www.dnso.org/elections/1999.DNSO-ICANN-election-result.html

   Alejandro's contributions to the DNSO, his knowledge and expertise,
   his background as scientist in a research lab with a large experience
   in Internet matters was convincing enough to several Constituencies.

   We may then deduce that the NCDNH concerns may be well understood
   and widely supported by the Names Council and Constituencies.

2. I have been working for 25 years in various research laboratories,
   all of them public sector, non commercial. My Internet experience
   is rooted in works on international connectivity for research
   networks, both for space program and for general purpose education.
   All of these was requesting for the real dedication and the big
   responsibility, which research labs are able to provide, and which
   was and is well respected by the industrial private sector.
   My background makes me naturally sympathetic to non-commercial
   approach in the Internet.
   For unknown reasons, I do not perceive that theses communities
   from universities or research labs are represented by the NCDNH.
   At least not the ones to which I belong, and I have been asking
   several colleagues.
   I admit that I do not follow the NCDNH mailing lists, and that
   it is certainly uncomplete vision, but still, I would like
   to understand what are matters on which focus the NCDNH group.

Elisabeth Porteneuve

<snip>