From: Eric Dierker [mailto:eric@hi-tek.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 12:43 AM
To: admin@consumer.net
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Registrar problem reports

Oh no I do not think you should take this out of context with the
*expired and
registered to "expireds are us" which are simultaneously listed with a
registrar/registry reseller for auction*.  Well we have them now what are we
going to do about it?  Chris and Andy what should we do?

Sincerely,
Eric

admin wrote:

> I don't know what kind of double-talk Gomes is giving here.  According to
> the messages sent previously from Gomes they currently have about 50,000
> domains locked because of their error.  In other words, because
the registry
> made an error they are causing all kinds of problems for the
registrars who
> registered these domains which is causing these registrars to lose money.
> These registrars happen to be in direct competition with Verisign.
>
> Note that the only problem that would occur if the registry did
not lock the
> domains is that Verisign would not be able to collect every last
$6 fee for
> every single domain year.  Nothing detrimental would happen to the domain
> owner at all.  There is also absolutely no explanation as to why the
> registry has locked the DNS settings.  Even if all their other claims were
> legitimate (which they are not) then they would only need to lock the
> registrar settings, not the DNS setting.
>
> Under the Tucows system one of the main selling points is that
you no longer
> have to deal with NSI and e-mail templates to update the records.  This
> cannot be done when the registry lock.  further, the message sent out by
> Gomes of the Verisign registry says they may not even make manual
changes if
> there are too many.
>
> Domain renewals under competition has a very low profit margin.  Once you
> start requiring manual changes with the registry lock (along with all the
> locks put on by the Verisign registrar) it makes it very difficult to keep
> prices low.  This is a coordinated effort by Verisign to disrupt the other
> registrars any way they can with the hopes of slowing the mass exodus away
> from Verisign.
>
> Even if there was a legitimate error there is no basis for taking
> weeks/months to correct it.  The fact that Mr. Gomes has been
asked at least
> 5 times to explain why the corrections are taking so long.  Mr. Gomes has
> ignored every request and comes on the list with his usual
double-talk that
> he has been giving for years.
>
> I suspect this a first test case so Verisign can see what they
can get away
> with.    I would not be surprised if all kinds of errors like this started
> cropping up and Verisign will use it as an excuse to lock more domains and
> cause more disruptions.
>
> Russ Smith

indicated they may
> or may not be able to make manual changes in a timely manner.
>
> This locking of domains byVerisign coincided with the Verisign registrar
> claims of "slamming"
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/cochetti-to-lynn-16jul01.htm.
> Meanwhile, the Verisgn registrar continues to lock domains without valid
> justifaction.  Many customers have to put their orders in 3 or 4 times
> before Verisign will release them.
>
> Verisign is disrupting the operations of competing registrars on several
> fronts.
>
> Below is the message I received from Tucows about the domains the Verisign
> registry has locked.  Gomes refuses to explain why these domain are being
> locked for so long:
>
> ==
>
> In June, VeriSign Registry accidentally auto-renewed several domains
> twice.  As a result, to prevent further problems, these domains have
> been placed on Registry-Lock.  The domain will function properly, but
> no transfers or renewals are allowed.  The expected time until they
> fix this is August 27th (at the earliest).
>
> Unfortunately, the only action we are allowed to perform on these
> domains is a nameserver change.  Following is a list of affected
> domains.  If you have a client that is getting the following error
> when attempting to change their nameserver:
>
> Unable to add nameserver: Registry error, domain's nameservers not
> updated [Domain status does not allow for operation]
>
> Then it is likely that they are affected by this problem.  Until these
> domains are fixed by VeriSign, you can email support@opensrs.org.  Be
> sure to include the domain name in question, and the nameservers you
> would like this domain to be updated with.
>
> ===

Registry is not