RE: [ga] Domain names as observed

At 21:19 29/07/2001 -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> [...]

Roeland,

Give or take a few years :-) , I don't think we disagree on that. I wasn't
talking about TM law. My apologies if I caused a misunderstanding.
I meant to be  talking about new legislation that defines the rights and
obligations of Domain Name Holders/Owners in the context of everything they
undertake in Cyberspace.
Vis-a-vis TM holders/owners, vis-a-vis the registrars and registries,
creditors , ISP's, IPP's, and everybody they deal with across borders.

National Laws can only be enforced locally. Natural Justice does
not  accept long-arm statutes that would force a DN owner to defend his
rights in a foreign court.

>The UDRP pretends to usurp trademark and intellectual property treaties.

Yes, even when you would ascribe it the best of intentions, that seems to
be the outcome.
Be prepared that the UDRP may end up as a forerunner of a section in a
Domain Name Treaty.