Re: [ga] Domain names as observed [correction]

Dear Sotiris,
The key isue here is in the initial sentence:
"Brookfield Communications, Inc. ("Brookfield") appeals the district
court's denial of its motion for a preliminary injunction prohibiting West
Coast Entertainment Corporation ("West Coast") from using in commerce terms
confusingly similar to Brookfield's trademark, "

The key word is "in commerce".

The vision of the Judge is not Internet but commerce oriented. Let assume
that you as a private person would have used the same DN to access your
family site, do you think the reasoning would have been the same? The role
of TM is not to give property over the name, but to avoid confusion into a
specific product class. Family life is not a class protected by TMs.

The entire DN issue is a confusion based upon two mistakes:
- to believe that DNs are something different from the name of something,
because this would expose the "ICP-3" error and reduce the Internet to the
common law.
- to treat the Internet as only a commercial issue. (Helped by the fact
that "com" stands more for "communication" than for "commerce" in people's
mind and that "org" is not a clear string.

Marc, you probably know that better than anyother one what is the UDRP
trend on .net and .org when compared with .com?

Jefsey