[ga] Domains are not a property but can be classed as an asset

Perhaps it may be beneficial if I state how I see domain names in the
context of property.

To me, domain names are a service that is licensed from the appropriate
body who controls the TLD.  This applies to all levels of domain names.
From the root through the TLD's, 2LD's and so on.

Each license may have any number of restrictions applied by the body that
issues the registration of the license.

The license to use a domain name is tied to the specific domain name, it
can be classed as an asset with value added to the domain name through
various means after registration.  Much like the old fashioned "good will"
asset of a business.

An asset does not necessarily have any associated property rights.  In the
case of domain names, the only rights are those granted under the license
of registration.

All the cases I have seen so far through the legal system support this
concept of a domain name being an asset but not an intrinsic property in
its own right.  Even intellectual property rights regarding domain names
are discounted as external considerations such as trademarks and other
factors are valued far higher than any inherent IP associated with the
creation of the domain name.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.