From: Sotiris Sotiropoulos [mailto:sotiris@hermesnetwork.com]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 4:44 PM
To: Jeff Williams
Cc: ga@dnso.org; Ross Wm. Rader
Subject: Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to
CochettiTransfer Letter)

Jeff Williams wrote:

> Joanna and all assembly members,
>
> Joanna Lane wrote:
>
> > on 7/27/01 1:18 PM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos at sotiris@hermesnetwork.com
wrote:
> > > I think this ought to be added to the thread "Domain Names as
Observed"
> > > (perhaps Joanna, you could add it to the list already at
> > internetstakeholders.com?)
> >
> > Done. The current list is:-
> >
> > A Domain Name is neither dial tone nor a telephone number. IP
connectivity
> > is the closest analog to dial tone. An IP address is the closest analog
> > the phone number, which the DNS was designed to mask for the benefit of
the
> > end-user. (Ross Wm. Rader)
> > Domain Names are a Public Resource.
> > Domain Names are Private Property.
>
>   You have a problem here with these two "Definitions?".  A Domain Name
> cannot be both a Public Resource and Private property.  I think you mean
> that the DNS is a Public Resource and Domain Names are Private Property?

I have to admit that these two "definitions" did appear rather contradictory
to me
as well.  I think you're quite correct here Jeff.

> > Domain Names are currently subject to lease contracts with registrars.
> > Domain Names are a mnemonic aid for web site location.
> > Domain Names can be a mnemonic aid for an IP address.
>
>   This   is also technically incorrect as well.  And IP address is a
translator
> for a TLD or potentially a Domain Name.

This is a more subtle but equally important distinction.  The "content" of
an IP
address is informed by the registered Domain Name and its holder.  I think
this is
a crucial point to stress.  Nice heads-up Jeff.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos