[ga] the GA as an R&D center

Dear Danny, Patrick and all,
When you think of it there is no other place in the AmerICANN and in the
world for network development R&D than the DNSO/GA.. I mean by network
development the global development of the network: how to expand it, how to
promote it, how to live it and with it, etc... There are several other fora
which deal with the technical aspects of the Internet development. There is
none to consider the questions we all more less ask ourselves:

- what is a domain name?
- is the current domain name system management appropriate?
- is the whois of use, would there be alternatives, what are the relations
with other systems?
- what is the public wanting? what would it accept? which experience could
we consider?
- new TLDs for what?
- the Internet assisted governance systems
- the protection of the users
- the relations with States and international organizations
- the ccTLDs and the national Internet communities
- the IP addressing plan
- the new form of social relations alighted by the Internet
- consensus nature and technicalities
etc... etc...

I mean here no dispute but R&D to develop a practical vision of the
Internet evolution and support the necessary related decisions by the
different bodies sharing in the Internet governance.

The GA is the only technical enough group of users. I see no other place
where are melt enough of the competence, independence, variety of
experience necessary to develop a coherent body of doctrine about what is
happening, how it could change, what to do to support the evolution and
innovation, etc...

I will take three examples for you to better understand what I am at:

- the UDRP. I want to investigate a change of nature: the arbitration panel
to be replaced by a court made of a panelist as a Judge, of public debates
on-line and of a Jury of randomly selected Internet users. There is no
dispute here. I just want to investigate an other traditional form that Joe
Sims and Jonathan Cohen might have chosen.

- Domain Names. Why do we have Registries? Are there not alternatives. The
present system is like gold mine placer management. Would it not be
interesting to investigate other ways? I would favor a permanent title with
a document or a plastic card I could keep with me and I would pay for usage
on a yearly basis - do you lose your name if you do not pay your taxes? We
would address some of the today problems and would meet others. What is the
best? I do not know, we should discuss it.

- the governance. The AmerICANN is not the Internet governance. But we
spend our time disputing about the governance system of the AmerICANN. We
only observe the practical impact of principles that are enlighten
progressively since the end of the XIXth century about network, innovation,
polylogual relations, end of the bottom-up/top-down models and emergence of
the me/we model, subsidiarity in that environment, etc... This concerns our
whole life, thinking (the politically correct is a direct result from the
me/we model). The AmerICANN is necessarily at the core of such a change.

This is of the essence of the DNSO/GA, but probably not of this mailing
list. Bill and Joanna are in fact trying to propose to work on something
like that with their Best Practices. If the result will be of interest to
ga-rules, I think that the preparation of these BPs and their interaction
with many other socio-politic aspects are to be carried on a special list
with a different spirit.

If you consider it, the Internet is today very much technic driven and not
market driven. What I propose is to try to work out a compromise through a
technical analysis of the market and of its evolution (innovation) with an
immediate target: to see if there are no alternative technical solutions to
our today most difficult problems. Without dogmatic declarations, but
humble study and some imagination.

I would be interested by your comments.
Jefsey