Re: [ga] Letter from ICANN to New.net

Bill Lovell wrote:

>Some relevant questions concerning this letter:
>
>On what basis is ICANN claiming "consensus?"
>
>What is the basis for the statement "the concept
>of multiple roots clearly leads to the potential for
>conflicting top level domains and consequent
>Internet instability," and if that is true, why is
>it establishing a .biz TLD, when there already is
>one of those, which could bring about the
>very collision it decries?

The basis for this statement is the position of the IETF, as summarised by
the IAB.
This item has also been debated at the PSO General Assembly some 10 days
ago, and there has not been one single voice in favour of multiple roots.
Incidentally, I have been one among others who spoke in favour of
IAB/ICANN's position, but of course made it clear that I was speaking only
as "a member of the DNSO/GA".

I don't want to underestimate the importance of the different political POVs
on the multiple roots, but since this issue has negligible support (if any
at all) in the Protocol community, and specifically at the IETF, ICANN
should not do anything else than dismiss it.

Regards
Roberto