Re: It can be worse (Re: [ga] VeriSign complains...)

I think I paid $10 for each transferred name to Dotster.  I personally
think that it may be a dollar or two higher than necessary, but then
they are in business, not charity.  I have no objection to a gaining
registrar who is willing to accept the transfer and credit the
customer with all existing registration years charging a fee to do
so.

For instance, many of my domains were registered for multiple
years.  Dotster accepted them and gave me those pre-paid years
even though they did not receive those renewal fees.  They charged
me $10 per transfer plus one additional registration year.  I think
that is fair.

I would not separate one registrar from another in that opinion.  If
the gaining registrar is performing a service that the customer feels
is a good service, then a fee for that service is warranted and
acceptable to me.  NSI would be no different in that aspect.  I
transferred out of of NSI because of their extremely poor service
and attitude. When I was dealing with a client's domain, I had no
end to problems.  I have had excellent service from Dotster and
never have a problem with obtaining assistance if (rarely) there is a
glitch or I need additional information.

Many people feel that registrars should simply accept transfers
and not charge for them.  They do not take into consideration the
man hours used to effect those transfers and provide customer
support for them.  It's great to be able to shop for price and service,
but we should all expect to pay for services rendered.  The problem
with NSI, as I see it, is that they are going beyond simply providing
a service for which they charge.  They are greedy and seem to be
willing to do anything they can to prevent an exodus.  I have seen
no evidence that they are concerned with customer service and
have shown by their actions that they will sacrifice that service and
still use underhanded means to retain customers.  In the end, they
will lose even more.

That's my two cents.

Leah