Re: [ga] MOTION AMENDMENT

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 19:38:23 -0700, Derek Conant wrote:

> I agree with Joanna and this was also my concern in the first place.  To
> move the GA forward, I felt compelled to agree with Patrick's motion.  My
> position is that *we'll cross that bridge when we get to it*, unless you
> want to spend three weeks now debating the subject.

Exactly.  That's what we need to avoid.  In any case the wording us flexible
enough to allow for any future rule changes.

> I believe that a better topic to address would be granting certain GA
> representatives voting power to drive the GA process forward.  However,
> I've already tried to present this concept to the GA and maybe it was not
> understood.

I think you were understood quite well.  The major difficulty seems to be
that very few people are fool enough to accept the poisoned chalice.

<snip>
> The GA has the problems it has because it is not properly organized and
> because of this it cannot move significant agenda forward through any
> valid consensus process.

The fact is that debate about substantive DNS issues are diverted by
procedural arguments or points of order e.g. the list monitors delayed too
long, they followed the wrong procedure, the lists were not set up properly,
they should be posted to [ga-full], there is censorship etc etc.

As well, there are too many lists and some mmbers are deliberately reposting
stuff from one list to another.  Many people are getting confused.  There is
also a great debate on lists, list monitoring, excess postings and the like.

Every time the debate gets diverted, nothing gets done.  I'd like to end
that impasse by creating an environment for proper debate.  You have
indicated that you agree with that viewpoint.  I appreciate your efforts to
achieve a positive result and that of all who have lent their support.

I believe this motion will be overwhelmingly accepted by the GA membership.

Thank you all.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss