Re: [ga] MOTION - Moving Discussion Off the GA List

Hi Joanna

The original wording of the motion was:

> All debate relating to rules, lists, protocols, procedures, etc. should be
> debated on GA-RULES. However, subscribers to GA-RULES may, by
> consensus, refer issues to the full GA for a determinative ballot.

When you objected to that I amended the wording to read:

> All debate relating to rules, lists, protocols, procedures, etc. should be
> debated on GA-RULES.  However, subscribers to GA-RULES may refer
> issues to the full GA for a determinative ballot or follow such other
> prescribed procedures that have been adopted by the General Assembly.

You have suggested an alternative form of wording:

> All debate relating to rules, lists, protocols, procedures, etc. should be
> debated on GA-RULES until such time as and ISSUE has risen to the
> level of requiring a determinative ballot of the General Assembly.

I cannot see how your wording improves on the amendment.  You agree that
there may be a "determinative ballot of the General Assembly" but you have
re-introduced a specific *trigger* which the amendment sought to avoid.

As well, the amendment catered for the possibility of some other form of
"prescribed procedures" which the GA might introduce at some future time.

There are 13 supporters for the present proposal as follows:

*    Peter de Blanc
*    Roeland Meyer
*    Leah Gallegos
*    Jefsey Morfin
*    Ken Stubbs
*    William S. Lovell
*    Marilyn Cade
*    Ross Wm. Rader (for Tucows)
*    Bradley Thornton
*    Alexander Svennson
*    Michael McNulty
*    Derek Conant (with reservations)
*    Patrick Corliss (myself)

As this motion now has significant support I would call upon the Chair to
arrange a vote to be conducted in the most expeditious manner.

Thank you.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss