[ga] Re: [apnic-talk] [apnic-announce] the unexpected service outage at APNIC, 20-21 June.

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [apnic-talk] [apnic-announce] the unexpected service outage at APNIC, 20-21 June.
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 01:47:14 -0700
  • CC: icann board address <icann-board@icann.org>
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

All assembly members,

  The following along with my reply came from the APNIC-Talk ML.
I thought that this would be of interest to some GA members....

Geroge and all,

  I don't understand why it took a full 21 hours to correct this disk
drive problem.  Had you had a hot backup drive the outage should have
hardly even been noticed.  As APNIC now is contracted with ICANN
this situation does not lead me to have confidence in APNIC's and
especially ICANN's technical expertise, which is supposed to be
ICANN's primary responsibility....

ggm@apnic.net wrote:

> [Note "reply-to:" field]
>
>  ========================================
>  To APNIC Members and interested parties,
>
>  APNIC services were disrupted recently when disk problems caused a
>  core network host to be lost in our Brisbane office. The problem arose
>  at 6 pm local time on Wednesday 20 June and full service was restored
>  by 3 pm local time on Thursday 21 June.  Email, ftp, www and DNS
>  services were adversely affected.
>
>  Emergency backup procedures were implemented, restoring DNS and
>  limited web and email services by 3 am on Thursday 21 June. The ftp
>  service was not available during the service failure.
>
>  Unfortunately the outage extended beyond some critical timeout windows
>  and in some cases email for lists will have bounced. Some of you may
>  have received warnings, but all emails will now have been delivered
>  correctly.
>
>  Full service has now been restored and we are actively reviewing our
>  service and systems strategies so as to avoid this kind of service
>  failure in future.
>
>  Please accept APNIC's apologies for the loss of facilities and for any
>  inconvenience caused.
>
>  Should you have any questions about this issue please reply to me at
>  <technical@apnic.net>
>
>  Best Regards
>
>  George Michaelson
>  Manager Technical Services
> *            APNIC-ANNOUNCE: Announcements concerning APNIC              *
> * To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe" to apnic-announce-request@apnic.net *
> *              APNIC-TALK: General APNIC Discussion List             *
> * To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to apnic-talk-request@apnic.net *

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827