[ga] Dependence on the DNSO Secretariat

Dear Ken

I see that you chose to share my private correspondence to you with
Elisabeth Porteneuve.  So you won't mind if I remind you of my earlier post
as follows:

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:11:27 +1000, I wrote:

> (1)    Lack of Resources, Dependency.  The GA is hamstrung by the NC
control
> over GA operations.  They (the NC) control the budget for travel to ICANN
> conferences, secretariat, website, legal advice, translation etc.  The
DNSO
> Secretariat is answerable to the NC not the GA.  The NC closed down all
the
> working groups at whim.    More importantly the NC controls the mailing
> lists and the website.

<snip>

> OK.  So what to do?  Well, part of it is obvious:
> (1)    Generate independent funding to reduce dependence on Names Council.

Your relevant response, on Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:00:59 -04000, was:

> as to mailing list "control" the ga lists were established by the ga, not
> the NC, are monitored and mediated by ga people (and always have been) and
> located on the dnso maillist server and subsidised under the names council
> budget
>
> would you prefer that the ga maillists be placed on separate servers, if
so,
> whose, and how do propose  to fund this seperate service ?
>
> as to the website, no one has stopped any of the ga members from putting
up
> their own site Patrick, again there is a matter of funding here.. there
are
> certain "economies of scale" which can be achieved by consolidation of all
> sites with a specific service.

So Ken, now that I have proved that we are dependent on the DNSO
Secretariat, you should withdraw the following remark:

> you statement above is an unfortunate example of the  "narrow  opinion" &
> "views" you refer to in paragraph #3 below.

I would also remind members of the General Assembly that we are never going
to achieve anything unless we have some resources of our own.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss