Re: [ga] Some other ideas about the questions... [ga-udrp] UDRP Questionnaire

For what it's worth, under U. S. trademark law if a mark has been in active
use for 5 years, the owner may file an affidavit to that effect and have
the mark declared "incontestable," meaning that it cannot be attacked
except upon grounds of fraud in acquiring it, or on a showing that the
mark has become generic.  The latter would not apply as to domain
names, but the former would.  The idea of 3 years, in my opinion,
would better fit the Internet context than would the trademark 5 years.

Bill Lovell

"Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" wrote:

> Folks, while we can get very excited about options and ideas, we do need to
> reflect back to what the law is...
>
> I know that courts aren't perfect either.  But then,neither is random
> justice, doled out by fiat... so somewhere there is a balance and we do the
> best we can.  I don't know if Milton's proposal of 3 years works in actual
> experience, but I suspect that if someone has been using a domain name for
> three years, most courts would take that into consideration.

Heh, heh!! Give me a list! :-)

Bill