Re[2]: [ga] Delay

Hello DPF,

Monday, June 18, 2001, 6:31:40 PM, DPF wrote:
> I suggest to get around this we have a slightly less informal election
> than for ga-chair.  This is an appt that Danny could make himself but
> instead he has chosen to let the GA vote on.

> Firstly the electoral college should just be the current ga@dnso.org
> (and ga-full automatically) subscribers.  That one ballot paper can be
> sent to the mailing list and that is it.

The issue is with authenticity, as Elizabeth quite correctly points
out.

Kent had written an email ballot system I believe that can handle
this, and deals well with the same "authenticity" issue.

And if I remember correctly (it's been quite a while) it handles the
tabulating automatically.  I don't recall if it can do the kind of
auditing by unique ballot numbers that the system the secretariat
developed does.  If not, I'm sure this is an easy add-on.  The
auditing report is a necessary requirement to avoid charges of the
host of the system from tampering.

I don't know how long it would take to get setup with Kent's system or
to modify it to do the auditing reports, but we should look into this
quite soon.  Then we just need a location to host it (which is not
that big of an issue because of the auditing, any number of us with
the resources can do it gratis).

> A voting address should be provided which goes to a couple of
> scrutineers.  I would suggest Michael Froomkin and Kent Crispin if
> they are willing.  if those two agree on the vote count we can be sure
> it is correct :-)

> The ballot paper will have a list of nominees and people vote for the
> person they want.  The e-mail must be sent from the an address which
> is subscribed to ga@dnso.org.  The person voting will also receive
> back a confirmation of how they voted so this stops anyone voting on
> behalf of someone else without their knowledge.

> We open nominations for a week and have voting for a week so we should
> get a result in just over two weeks.

In the interim, until we can get an "independent" system that won't
require going to the secretariat or the council everytime we need to
run a simple vote, we should just do what David is suggesting.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>