Re: [ga] Reply to William Walsh

Mr Younger

Might I ask a simple question ?

What exactly is your past experiance at managing a consensus driven
process? Or Mr. Corliss' ?

Polar opposite opinions are standard fare when searching for
consensus - they are not a sign that the process is failing but instead
indicate how passionately these opinions are held and that there is still
plenty of 'energy' left in the discussion participants.

What the Chairs do to help the participants find compromise between
these opinions, both in highlighting those points where there is
agreement and focusing the discussion where there isn't determines
the success or failure of the process.

This process can be extremely frustrating for those who would prefer
a more 'efficient' approach, but efficiency is not a priority when
consensus is.

Suggesting that finding consensus is too hard - so we should give up
and simply elect 9 GA Directors as Mr. Conant proposes is
(regardless of his intentions to be constructive) extremely destructive
to the consensus process.

Sure seems to be a lot of well intentioned people here who just don't
agree on everything rather than ill intentions on anyones part.

Can the Chairs help us find consensus ?

                    Not from what I've seen so far.

Is anyone out there still interested in trying ?

                    Fewer every day if we continue to beat up each other

sorry if I've offended anyone - that's not my intent

Earl Heather