Re: [ga] Blending Top-down and Bottoms-up

Sotiris and all assembly members,

  I voted for Danny.  I support him whenever and wherever I can
realistically do so.  Where I cannot as spokesman for our organization,
I simply cannot.  I admire your desire to move forward with real work
to be done and much needed in the DNSO GA, however it is
also not wise to blindly go forward with every proposal that Danny
suggests, or for that matter any one else proposes.  Therefore
I cannot support and do not support, Appointing Joop as to the
Task force as suggested for the GA.  Rather an election should
be held, and even Joop agrees, to determine whom this person
or representative should be.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> Joop Teernstra wrote:
>
> > Danny and GA members,
> >
> > Danny Younger is an elected Chair of this Assembly, not an appointee.
> > A posting like the above deserves support, respect for the majority that
> > elected Danny and not inane criticism.  I am dismayed at some of the
> > postings that I have seen from the last 24 hours.
> >
> > I also take seriously the charter of the DNSO that tells me why I am a
> > member of this Assembly:
> > "The participants in the GA should be individuals who have a
> >      knowledge of and an interest in issues pertaining to the areas for
> >      which the DNSO has primary responsibility, and who are willing to
> >      contribute time, effort and expertise to the work of the DNSO, including
> >      work item proposal and development, discussion of work items, draft
> >      document preparation, and participation in research and drafting
> >      committees and working groups."
> >
> > I'll try to be of help, if such an Organizing committee can be formed and
> > other appointees are willing to accept the task. But every proposal that
> > comes out of such an Organizing Committee must be subjected to a  voting
> > process for endorsement or amendments by the other members of the GA.
> >
> > Even Karl Auerbach, who has always been consistent in advocating
> > accountability, expressed a few days ago how he saw merit in the closed
> > character of the BWG (Boston Working Group).
> > I too, have experienced the limits of totally open efforts in organizing
> > the IDNO. ("bottom-up, the final illusion" I wrote, disillusioned)
> >
> > We have elected our Chair in the hope of getting things done. We should now
> > close ranks behind him to make it happen.
>
> All,
>
> I believe Joop is making an excellent point here.  I think it's time we stood
> behind the Chair and actively bolstered his position.  We can do no less,
> especially considering his steadfast and impressive showing in Stockholm.  I
> readily accept the appointment, and hope the rest will also.  I urge William
> Walsh to reconsider his position and to join myself and any of the others
> interested in making meaningful contributions.  I think the time has come to put
> aside the invective and get some work done.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827