[ga] Restructuring ICANN

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:45:44 -0400, Danny Younger wrote:

> Patrick writes:  "It would be much appreciated if members would take up
any
> discussion relating to restructuring ICANN to the GA-ICANN mailing list."
>
> On this occasion, I disagree with Patrick.  Knowing that structural issues
> were to soon become a major topic of debate, it was decided to set up a
> discussion list (GA-review) to continue the structural analysis first
> started in the DNSO Review Working Group.

Dear Danny

There are three things wrong with your analysis.

(1)    As I understand it the DNSO Review was set up to review the DNSO.  I
may be mistaken but that seems like a sensible deduction.  What we are
talking about now is a restructuring of ICANN itself.  I have suggested
merging the Address Supporting Organisation and the Protocol Supporting
Organisation to give the DNSO a half share (instead of a third) of the power
base.

(2)    Even if you argue that there is a genuine need for a review of the
DNSO.  This has been overtaken by events.  The issue is now ICANN itself.
It would be utterly stupid to conduct two reviews separately and
concurrently, one into ICANN and another into the DNSO.

(3)    The DNSO Review Working Group is quite dead as far as I can tell.
Certainly there are less that 20 subscribers to the GA-REVIEW mailing list
and it has generated only 8 posts since it was formed six weeks ago.
Moreover three of those were from you and two were from me.   In other words
one independent posting a fortnight.  That's so slow moving it might as well
be dead.

Actually I fail to understand why you insist on posting things to the wrong
list.  This posting, for example, has absolutely nothing to do with
GA-ROOTS.  I will post my response to the main GA.

But far worse than posting things to the wrong list yourself you are now
encouraging other people to do so.  I saw no reason to create a GA-REVIEW
mailing list.  This was your own choice.  Nobody wants it.

Do the right thing and close it down.  Subsume it into GA-ICANN.

Regards
Patrick Corliss

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-review/Arc00/msg00001.html