[ga] Re: [ga-icann] ICANN May Face Restructuring

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [ga-icann] ICANN May Face Restructuring
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:06:41 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

Patrick and all,

  And Stuart Lynn stated in the previously posted ICANN Announcement
that the Stockholm meeting was a great success.  Makes one wonder
whether Stuart considers a success...  Stew, care to help shed some
light on this discrepancy?

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> ICANN May Face Restructuring
> By Juliana Gruenwald, Interactive Week
> June 7, 2001 4:25 PM ET
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2770858,00.html
>
> STOCKHOLM, Sweden - After more than two years of existence, the Internet's
> domain name management body could go through a major face-lift as it
> responds to calls for a shift in the representation of some of its
> constituencies.
>
> Internet industry representatives and others say the Internet Corporation
> for Assigned Names and Numbers will likely have to go through a
> restructuring if it agrees to act on a call by the operators of the
> country-code top-level domains, such as dot-uk. Looking for more of a voice
> with regard to issues under ICANN's jurisdiction, the ccTLD operators have
> asked for a separate supporting organization.
>
> The ccTLD operators made the request during ICANN's quarterly board meeting
> in Stockholm, which ended Monday. The ccTLDs are currently one of seven
> constituencies that make up the Domain Name Supporting Organization, which
> advises ICANN on domain name policy issues. The ccTLD operators say they are
> withdrawing from the DNSO because they do not feel their interests are
> adequately represented. The DNSO generally focuses on issues related to
> generic top-level domain names (gTLDs), such as dot-com and dot-net, but it
> also has been criticized for being ineffective.
>
> Country-code operators say they should have greater influence in ICANN,
> given that they provide as much as one third of ICANN's funding. They said
> they would continue to make voluntary contributions to fund ICANN's
> operations as long as the ICANN staff works toward the development of a
> ccTLD supporting organization.
>
> While noting that the ccTLDs still support the ICANN process, Peter de
> Blanc, the operator for the Virgin Islands country code, told the board,
> "What we're looking for is an improved structure."
>
> In addition to the DNSO, ICANN has two supporting organizations that focus
> on technical issues. Each of the three groups is given three seats on
> ICANN's 18-member board. The nine other seats are set aside for at-large
> representatives. ICANN President M. Stuart Lynn also serves on the board as
> an ex-officio member.
>
> The ccTLDs are expected to also want representation on the board, which will
> require ICANN to reshuffle its current makeup.
>
> Other constituencies are looking for representation as well. ICANN is in the
> midst of a study of whether general Internet users should have formal
> representation in ICANN. When it was created, ICANN was supposed to allow
> general Internet users to elect nine representatives to the board. But so
> far, ICANN has held only one election for five of the at-large seats. The
> other four seats are still held by directors appointed when ICANN was
> created in 1998. ICANN officials say they will not make a decision on
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827