Re[2]: [ga] Note to the ICANN Community UPDATE:

Hello Leah,

(JW CC line removed, those people can thank me later)

Tuesday, May 29, 2001, 8:04:44 PM, L Gallegos wrote:

> Let's see... If .net suspended registrations tomorrow, would it be okay
> for another root to duplicate it using different name servers?  There are
> others which are really dormant, but plan to activate.  Is that reason to
> have another root duplicate them using different name servers?  Why
> should anyone recognize their autonomy?

It is not a duplication.

The ICANN root is unique in and of itself.  It represents a unique
namespace, that has been created and developed over time, and
represents a series of decisions that had led to its contents.

If others choose to duplicate those contents as a basis for their own
roots, that is, in fact, their choice, but that act does not confer on
them any rights with regards to listings in the ICANN root.

Nor does the absence of a string from being listed in the ICANN roots
confer on those who create their own namespace the right to assert
those strings in their namespace and expect protection in ICANN's
unique namespace.

There is no legal basis for any such claims that alt.root use of a TLD
grants them any rights in a namespace they have intentionally chosen
to operate outside of.

To the alt.root advocates, be careful what you ask for.  You ask for
there to be one "inclusive" "unified" namespace.  The most likely way
for that to happen will be for ICANN to be declared the manager of
that one single namespace, and thus give a further sense of
illegitimacy to the efforts of alt.roots.  ICANN staff have already
gone on record that alt.roots are in competition with ICANN, and are
totally separate and unique.

That is a gift.  You should be embracing it rather than railing
against it.  The end result of your current argument is most certainly
not in your favor.  It presents the best argument yet for a controlled
central root.

You do more to support the arguments in the Stuart Lynn and
draft-crispen documents when you insist on sticking to those
arguments.

Yes, you may have to accept that there will be casualties as the
result of embracing that position.  But your current path would almost
certainly result in far greater casualties among your ranks.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh