Re: [ga] Note to the ICANN Community UPDATE:

Bruce and all assembly members,

  I have two problems with this draft.

1.) That there is no place specified where discussion online for this
draft should be sent to (E-Mail address).
Question: Should the discussion be done on this forum?

2.) In particular to this draft for discussion, I take exception with
some characterizations and inaccurate statements made in this section:

    "One prominent example, described in recent testimony before the US
Congress, was the activation of a previously dormant TLD within an
"alternative" root after other companies had already expressed interest
in establishing a TLD of the same name through the ICANN process, and
after several detailed proposals were submitted for community
consideration. In an apparent effort to preempt the community-based
process, a number of registrations were created in the alternative TLD
by a small number of registrants (indeed, 60% of the first wave of
registrations were made in the operator's own name), and various public
statements were made, including in Congressional testimony, that were
clearly intended to create the illusion of long-established and
continuous operation. In fact, an analysis of registrations in this
"alternative" TLD shows that, as of April 2001, there were only slightly
over 3,600 names registered, a significant number of which are obviously
names captured by speculators (such as cnn.biz and disney.biz). On the
basis of this opportunistic record, this operator has claimed global
priority over the    community decisions through the ICANN process. This
episode illustrates the wisdom of the White Paper's warning that
"decision[s] to add new top-level domains [must not] be made on an ad
hoc basis by entities or individuals that are not formally accountable
to the Internet community."10"

  The ICANN BoD is basically admitting that they were aware that another
registry was operating/servicing a the TLD .BIZ prior to their selection
(Lottery) of this TLD.  Yet seem to be claiming that it was dormant at
the time they "Lottery Selected" this TLD, .BIZ.  The record clearly
shows, from what I have gleaned that this statement is incorrect, and
constitutes a seemingly purposeful misinformation to the public as
such.  Secondly, the ICANN BoD has yet to show the public that the
Public or stakeholders were in favor of the process by which the
ICANN BoD choose or selected potential Registries to operate a
TLD Registry for .BIZ or .INFO specifically.

Bruce James wrote:

> Discussion Draft: A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS

> Note to the ICANN Community
> UPDATE:
>
>  http://www.icann.org/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm
>
> /Bruce

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827