Re: [ga] Observations...

Hi Danny

Thank you for your observations.  I note that you have named a number of
people as in the following sentence:

> I was also quite dismayed to note that many our members who posted in the
> last month did not choose to vote:

I realise that this is all a matter of public record but I do think it would
be better if we all avoided naming people whenever there is any suggestion
of disapproval.  The very fact of naming, without more, can cause severe
emotional disturbances amongst members.

In fact, there should be no disapproval.  The nominated people did all cast
a perfectly valid vote.  They all voted to abstain.  Where we could have a
problem is if they MEANT to vote but didn't receive their ballot paper or
something of that kind.

There could also be a fault with the votiing process in that it did not
allow for the possibility of an abstention.  I really don't think all such
questions are simply YES or NO in form.

I know it is a great deal of work but I suggest that you conduct a private
survey of those who didn't vote to see if they want to expolain why not.
They you could publish the results in a summary report without naming
people.  I understand that is standard methodology.

Of course, there's nothing to say that they will repond to your survey,
either.

BTW I am responding to you on the main GA list.  Any future postings of this
type or on this subject should go to GA-RULES as that list is for internal
processes.

Regards
Patrick Corliss