Re: [ga] Sinking The Titanic (was The Tower of Babble)

Patrick and all assembly members,

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Dear Sotiris
>
> On Sun, 27 May 2001 19:48:20 -0400, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>
> > The GA has disintegrated into babble, pure and simple.  I ascribe this, in
> > large part, to no clear program of work.  The coming meeting in Stockholm
> > may only serve to emphasize this point.  How can the GA expect to be taken
> > seriously, when its own members no longer take it seriously, and even
> question
> > its credibility?
>
> In which case the naysayers will have succeeded in THEIR hidden agemda.

  What is an "Agemda"?   Do you mean AGENDA here Patrick.  If so,
your characterization of those that do not share your AGENDA's, and
which ever one is the REAL one you aspire to, I find that particularly
abusive towards the assembly members...  I for one would appreciate
you discontinuing this sort of baiting or characterization in the negative.

> > Mssrs. Chair, and Alt-Chair, outcome reflects on leadership.  Don't get
> carried
> > away with the party-favours and other mementos of the occasion...   I will
> be
> > watching the webcast closely, as will many others.  Perhaps we will add
> our
> > voices in the public participation.
>
> I don't know why you are so presumptious.  First I am not going to Stockholm
> as the DNSO GA has no money and only one person on the list cared enough to
> do anything about it.

  The ICANN BoD is supposed to fund such trips for those whom they
feel are deserving and necessary to attend.  I believe you were
turned down as a result of one or the other of these conditions when
you requested funding to go to Stockholm.

> Second, I haven't been to a party of any sort in 10 years.  Or the movies.
> Or anywhere exciting.  Last time in Melbourne I stayed in the cheapest hotel
> in the City where I couldn't afford to buy breakfast for 4 days.  I survived
> on the free snacks.  So I'm not doing that again !!

  That was a very bad financial decision on your part Patrick.  Planning
you expenses for any trip of that nature is paramount to a successful
trip.  This does not speak well for you financial judgment...

> Third, it's easy to blame the leadership.  Where's your support?  Your input
> lately?

  Support for what?  For whom perhaps?

> It's like a sinking ship.  We are all in this together.  Sure the Captain
> can stand there and say "To the liferafts !!" but when everybody argues
> which way to go, who's going to be in charge of the liferafts, why weren't
> they repaired and provisioned, etc. we will all drown.

  First of all this is not a ship.  Second if for the sake of discussion here,
the life rafts, if you will, were not provisioned, it would be proper to ask
why not, don't you think?  I do.

> Of course it is easy to blame the Captain.

  What Captain?  You?  If so , I don't think so, Patrick.

> It doesn't matter that he just
> took over and that nobody ever listened to him in the first place.

  I think most participants here are willing to listen.  As to acting, that is
another
matter entirely.

> So the Captain comes over to take charge of the out-of-control situation
> saying "OK, you can be in charge of that liferaft".  What happens?

  Again do you invasion yourself as the "Captain"?  Your not.

> You guessed it !!  Everybody says either (a) Who put you in charge? OR (b)
> No, we don't agree with your choice and we will do everything in our power t
> o undermine it.

  Undermine?  I don't think so here either.  Question, yes.  Undermine, no?

> So the ship sinks and we all drown -- not "babble" but "burble".
>
>  . . . . burble . . . burble . . . burble. . . . glug !!

  Great theatrics here.  However I fail to see the connection really nor
how it is very helpful.  Such theatrics also do not show good leadership
traits either....

> I call upon all fair-minded persons to stop flaming the leadership so that
> there will be some chance that we might be able to achieve something
> worthwhile in Stockholm.

  I don't know what flaming you are referring to.  Could you be more specific?

> Regards
> Patrick Corliss
>
> But, we're going to need a commitment from our
> colleagues who are at the meeting, to ensure that all voices will be given a
> fair
> chance.  It will also be interesting to see how the time will be allotted
> for the
> various discussions.   If necessary, will the meeting run over/through
> lunch/dinner/breakfast and even overtime?  Or will it be the ersatz
> performance yet
> again?  (Considering the gravity of the matters to be discussed, I think a
> working
> lunch is not too much to be expected, surely?  I remember Esther Dyson
> herself
> deigning to dine and do... that is, if memory serves me correctly.)  I would
> even
> like to see a motion or two with real and virtual participation in a vote!
> (`wishful thinking', I know)  Is this GA really going to happen gentlemen?
> Let us
> see your resolve, will, and character over the next two weeks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos

> Regards
> Patrick Corliss

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827