[ga] what is a report....versus, what is a transcript....

Folks, let me see is I can provide an analogy. In the BC, where I mostly
participate as a member, we don't always agree. Philip has the challenge to
report on the "consensus", which in the BC isn't necessarily agreed to by
all, but supported by the vast majority. We do, depending on the situation,
have minority opinions, but we seek to get to agreement as much as possible.

In my view, the role of the chair, in any group, is to try to synthesize and
come up with the "range of views" and as much as possible, report on where
there is agreement. Where there is no agreement, he [or she :-)] would need,
in my opinion, to provide a summary of the topics discussed, the range of
views, and the proposed efforts to reach toward more agreement.

A report to the GA is about what we are doing, not necessarily about HOW we
are doing it, although that may be useful as one of the points.  And, what
we want/plan to do next, and how the NC can 1)support 2) participate.

... IF the chair, or in the future, the chair/co-chair, provide a report to
the NC, or anyone else, which isn't agreed to by the GA, then the members
can provide challenges to their report.  There are several mechanisms to
allow that. First, in the GA itself, when Danny reviews the suggested NC
report topics,  people can suggest additional topics.

Secondly, if there is serious challenge to the report to the NC, then I
would suggest that you ask for the opportunity to craft a minority report,
get enough buy in to that from the other GA members, and ask to submit it to
the record, at least.  Having it in writing will make that simpler and
easier.  And, in my view, would be needed, since you will need to ensure
that you have sufficient dissenting opinions to make it clear that the
Chair's report isn't legitimate.

I, however, intend to first and foremost, help to ensure that the Chair's
report is legitimate, and I am confident that will be the case.  :-)

In my view, a report is just that, a summary and report -- it is not a blow
by blow transcript or detailed description of what happens/has happened. For
those who seek that level of detail, they should participate in the GA
electronically.

I know we are important, guys, but there are other groups (constituencies),
and entities/SOs, and everyone is busy. Let's lighten up here and be focused
on supporting getting a report which the GA does agree to.

Productive dialogue and efforts to reach agreement are the best solution to
any differences.  This is about the GA reaching agreement; not about whether
"others" agree with the GA.  First things first... the GA report by our
chair.

:-)