[ga] Re: [ga-roots] BUILDING A PLATFORM FOR DESTRUCTION

Eric and all assembly members,

  Excellent evaluation and read here Eric.  To the extent you provided
for here, I am in complete agreement with you conclusion.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> As part the RIR package found at
> http://www.icann.org/stockholm/emerging-rir-topic.htm
>
> Does anyone else read (b) as a set up to disqualify RIRs who would do
> business with an ISP that would do business with the now existing .BIZ.
> How does one "avoid global address space fragmentation"?  So far ICANN
> BoD seems to think it is OK to assign a new gTLD which duplicates one
> that already exists, so they either have to get rid of one or make sure
> the ISPs do not do business with one and they can only directly do this
> through the RIRs.
>
> Now, if I read Milton Mueller's most recent post correctly.
>
> " Alternate roots do in fact exist. No one can prevent
> them from existing, because te selection of a root
> server to point to is a voluntary act by ISPs and
> end-user client software. "
>
> So my conclusion is that the only way for ICANN to move ahead in the
> .biz manner they have chosen is to develop an agreement that restricts
> the aforsaid voluntary act by the ISPs.
>
> (9) Regional IP Address Registries
>
>               The initial signatories to this MOU shall include ICANN
> and the Signing RIRs who have signed below. ICANN will
>               develop requirements and policies for the approval of
> additional RIRs. This MOU assumes that these
>               requirements will include at least:
>
>                    (a) That the proposed RIR has demonstrated the broad
> support of the Internet service providers
>                    (ISPs) in its proposed region of coverage.
>
>                    (b) That the region of coverage meets the scale to be
> defined by ICANN considering the need to
>                    avoid global address space fragmentation.
>
> Then again I may be paranoid and wrong ;>}
> Hum I just wonder if Verisign would benefit from such restrictions also.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --
> This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827