Re: [ga] dotbiz-info SM & TM questions

Marc Schneiders wrote on 22.05.01, 02:12:02:
> It does work with 4 characters at neulevel.com. I just tried for BIJT,
> except for paying for it, naturally. The more I read about it, the
> more I feel sick. An officially ICANN sanctioned lottery.

I'm not so sure about that. At least trademark holders
/don't/ get the domain simply by claiming trademark
rights. E.g., if Marc claims BIJT(tm) and I manage to
register bijt.biz for my Better Investigative Journalism
Training business, I'm informed of Marc's claim and
Marc is informed of my registration.

Marc is free to file a Startup Opposition Policy
complaint, but if I "(as an individual, business, or other
organization) have been commonly known by the domain name",
even if I /haven't/ acquired trademark or service mark
rights, then it is bona fide use and I can keep it. More
importantly, the IP claims expire when .biz goes live.

(One may of course wonder whether this is worth $90. :))

Best regards,
/// Alexander