RE: [ga] VeriSign May Ditch Domain Deal

The whole idea of registry/registrar splitting is a canard. It was one of
the things offered to delay the introduction of new TLDs. It attempted to
answer the anti-competition rant about failing to allow other registries to
offer TLDs in competition with COM. In addition, NSI was failing miserably
at customer service. The registrar system attempted to say that there is now
competition with NSI. That one no longer has to do business with NSI because
one now has a choice of registrars. Ergo, no new TLDs were required. As a
prophylactic, it failed.

All the registrar system did was create a new layer of registry resellers.
The fundimental provider of service is still the registry and there is still
only one. It is worse because  registrar agreements bind registrars
exclusively to ICANN, preventing them from doing business with non-ICANN
registries, AFAICT. They are still locked into NSI (I don't think that RIPE
supports registrars, the last I heard). Thus, it only presents the
appearance of competition and not the fact.

What it did do was relieve NSI of many customer service issues by pushing
most of that out to the registrars. What it ALSO does is add yet another
layer of profit margins. Thus increasing the minimal cost of doing business.
Look in your marketing 101 text for channel marketing. It is a very
effective tool. It actually enhanced NSI's position substantially. NSI
actually got ICANN to help them set up their market distribution channels.

BTW, I said most of this at the time it happened. It should be no surprise
to many. Some may disagree ... if it quacks, flies, and swims ... it's a
duck, IMHO.