Re[2]: [ga] VeriSign May Ditch Domain Deal

Hello Bill,

Thursday, May 17, 2001, 5:43:23 PM, William S. Lovell wrote:
> Mebbe so.  Which is why I try to figure out good questions and let others
> (e.g., Robert Gaetano today) who can better answer them (i.e., better
> than NSI/Verisign) do so.  I am not a web guru -- all I know is that when
> I run a WHOIS on cerebalaw.com I come up with me (a registrant), the

But you get that registrant data from the registrar, not the registry.

Verisign/NSI Registry doesn't even know your email address, or that
you have anything to do with that domain name.

> world knows (and in this case likely little cares) that that domain name is
> registered, and to whom, and I believe that NSI/Verisign has the data that
> permits the WHOIS to function.

The Registry doesn't no.  The NSI Registrar has only the data for
domains that were specifically registered through their registrar, and
not other registrars.

Each registrar maintains their own whois server with the registrant
data, and that data, including your email address, is never passed to
the registry.

> I understand also that for the DNS to run
> all that is really needed is a "table" of domain names and IP addresses, and
> if that's all that the registry has, then I stand corrected -- in a sense.  I

They have the domain names, their nameservers, and the IP addresses of
those nameservers, and the name of the registrar who you registered
the domain name with.

> And no, that I get SPAM from NSI is not because of that; it is because,
> since they're the registry, I have to deal with them in one way or another

No, you get it because you, either now or in the past, registered a
domain name through NSI's registrar.

> in order to hold a domain name, and once I've done that (a) I've become
> an NSI "customer"

Not if you register a domain through another registrar, you don't.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh