From: William S. Lovell [mailto:wsl@cerebalaw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 12:43 PM
To: Bruce James
Cc: GA
Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign May Ditch Domain Deal

Well, let's hope so.  To begin with, paper work "separation" between registry and registrar
functions has always been a gross fiction -- it never works and should never have been
contemplated. What do you think happens when the registry type says to the registrar type,
"Let's do lunch?" I never deal directly with NSI (Verisign) in registering a domain name,
but only when the necessary paper work trickles out of my registration application to some
other registrar.

Even so, I guess that makes me a "customer" of Verisign and gives them a crack in the law
that allows them to send me their SPAM. That's one reason why there's an incompatibility
between registry and registrar functions -- registries should twiddle bits, and that's all --
a registry should be hawking nothing. (For our nonUSA people to whom the slang term
"hawking" is not familiar, it just means aggressive marketing and that sort of thing.)

(Once our current more important issues get resolved, SPAM, privacy, security, etc., will
be my next projects.)

(The concession in par. 2 below solves nothing as to the problem in par. 1.)

Bill Lovell

Bruce James wrote:

""The major sticking point arose from a letter that the Justice Department sent to the Department of Commerce warning that the deal would harm competition in the nascent business of registering Internet names, people familiar with the negotiations said. The letter opposed the so-called vertical integration of VeriSign's managing of the ".com" database and registering new names in the database, sources said.""

""Commerce officials were said to be asking for more concessions from VeriSign, such as giving up control of the ".net" domain sooner than 2005.""

/Bruce