Re: [ga] No extra CC's or bcc's

On 2001-05-12 08:08:23 -0500, Bruce James wrote:

>Could everyone refrain from cc'ing or bcc'ing me any messages from
>the mailing lists.  I am getting heartily sick of getting multiple
>copies and my mail systems have enough traffic without the
>redundant and annoying copies.

Refraining from manually gatewaying the same thread between various
lists (such as domain-policy, ga, ga-roots, icann-europe, icann-fra,
...) could help even more to avoid duplication, and to concentrate
discussions.  [I plead guilty on having done this myself.]

While I'm on it, I believe that it was a bad idea to separate topics
into all these lists: This multiplies administrative overhead, and
adds opportunities for mis-posting messages, and for missing
interesting or important discussions.

It could be an interesting exercise for the chairs to compare the
subscriber lists of the various subgroups.  If most of the people on
these lists just belong to the same subset of ga subscribers, it may
be more reasonable to abandon the sublists and move back to the
situation of a single GA list.

It could also be reasonable to ban certain kinds of cross-posting
behaviour - be it technically, be it by threatening (and
implementing) temporary posting bans for list members who are in
violation of the policy:

- Automatically ban messages which are To or CC domain-policy,
   icann-europe, icann-fra, ....  This can be implemented trivially
   by using majordomo's taboo_header setting.

- Automatically ban messages which evidently come from cross-posted
   threads.  In particular, you could match on the following Subject
   patterns:

   \[icann-eu\]
   \[ga-.*\]

- Educate posters who are spreading threads over various lists. This
   should happen in firm, but polite tone, and off-list(!).

- Establish a policy which requires that the name of the respective
   ga list MUST occur on postings' To or CC headers.  I don't think
   this can easily be implemented with majordomo, so you'd have to
   rely on appropriately threatening non-compliant posters.

I'd be willing to establish and enforce a similar policy on
icann-europe, and we could at least try to get domain-policy on
board, too.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/
 Wenn man nicht mehr weiterweiß, dann gründet man 'nen Arbeitskreis.