RE: [ga] Funding

Jefsey, et all:

I never said, or agreed, with your interpretation of how I (or others in
North America) regard non-profit or non-commercial companies.

Many non-profits do not have tax exemptions. Even if a non-profit does have
a tax exemption (in the US),l it only affects donations from other US
companies.

In our culture, "a non profit must be supported
by others (state, cities, companies) to join forces with the
free help brought be benevolent volunteers." (same as your words)

As an aside, i was surprised that the NCC does not accept non-profit
chambers of commerce as members. They are organizations set up to act as
political lobbists to local, state, regional, and national governmentsw in
order to argue for a more favorable set of business legislation. they are
all non profit, and mostly populated with volunteers.

I am personally involved with the VIP FreeNet foundation, in the Virgin
Islands. It does not have a tax exemption. It provides Internet access to
the public, where such access is not otherwise available thru schools,l
libraries, etc. It is run by volunteers.

The FreeNet conducts fund-raising activities, runs seminars, etc,. The funds
are used to deliver the internet service.

There is no difference (in my mind) between these non-profits.

Now, getting back to the DNSO constituency dues of NCC, I believe that your
secretariat, (if you have one) could simply request donations from other
organizations- including the other constituencies.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate knowing just who and what organizations are
eligible to be members in the NCC.

peter de Blanc

(Your mail appears below)

--------------------------------------

Dear Peter,
I think we have here a major cultural gap I start understanding
between the US and other cultures.

If I am righ in the US culture a non-profit organization is a tax
exemption formula which is permitted if the activity is actually
eductational, charitable, etc... The is determined if I understand
you right by the amount of money that activity is able to rise.
So in a way the payers are the people saying if the action is
beneficial to he community and a tax exemption is worth being
accepted.

For us this is the oherway around. The tax exemption is a
detail. It goes with the incorpoation of the non-profit. It is only
under some circumstances when the people have shown that
actually the activity is somewhat commercial that taxes may
be imposed. The important thing is the dedication of the
volunteering people.

So in your culture, a non profit must be self-budgeted to show
it is of interest, and does not really care about benevoelent
free help. While in our culture a non profit must be supported
by others (state, cities, companies) to join forces with the
free help brought be benevolent volunteers.

In the case of he DNSO, you consider that "pay for vote" as
natural since it means that the voter was able to show the
meit of hios participation to sponsors. While we consider that
"to be pay for vote' is the normal way: we already give our
time, efforts, we are not going to gove our money.

What you do not see is tjhat your system works because
sponsors write off their gifts. Ours does it only partly and
under tax control. As we have many more no-profit orgs.
with extremely low budgets most of hem are funded out
a Members and Board Members pocket without any tax
write off.

Please tell me if my reading of the US approach is exact
and if you understand the culture of the non US taxed
rest of the world.

Jefsey