[ga] Mailing Lists for the GA

To:  Philip Sheppard, Names Council Chair

One consequence of the DNSO Review process has been a call by the ICANN
Board for proposals that "improve operations of the DNSO as it is
constituted today".

I am proud to have noted that the members of the General Assembly have
responded to this call to action by posting their comments as requested to
the ICANN Public Forum.  In particular, I wish to recognize the singular
contribution of the members of the Review Working Group, chaired by Sotiris
Sotiropoulos, that worked unceasingly in the pursuit of responsible
recommendations for improvements.

One such recommendation states:  "That the NC be encouraged to foster more
inclusive participation for the membership of the GA.  This includes the
regular establishment of relevant work, research, and/or drafting groups
that draw upon all interested parties within the GA."  Another
recommendation calls for providing "ongoing ML servers and/or forum
capability for new WGs and committees."

It is with respect to this latter point that I am now writing to you.
Several members of the General Assembly have recently echoed this sentiment
that the GA is in need of topical mailing lists to better facilitate work
item proposal and development, discussion of work items, and draft document
preparation for the research and drafting committees we seek to establish.

While discussions with the DNSO Secretariat on this topic have been
initiated (the Secretariat noting "procedures should be defined first,
probably with the NC"), the General Assembly is understandably anxious to
move forward as quickly as possible.  One contributor to the GA list
yesterday made this comment:  "Can we please see the WG lists established so
that we can WORK?"

I am asking for your assistance in moving this process forward as
expeditiously as possible.  If we need to work collaboratively to establish
any particular procedures, then let us do so forthwith.  We look forward to
continued cooperation with the NC.

Best regards,
Danny Younger