Re: [ga] [ADMIN] Suspension of William Walsh for mass postings

To:  David Farrar <david@farrar.com>

Dear David

On Wednesday, April 18, 2001 2:34 PM (AEST), you wrote:
Subject: Re: [ga] [ADMIN] Suspension of William Walsh for mass postings

> I make no comment about the content of Mr Walsh's posts as this ruling did not
> judge them.  He has been suspended only for breaching the posting limit.
>
> Having perused the archives for this period I find the following have also
> breached the 5 posts per day limit.
>
> Chris Ambler - breached on 12, 14, 15 April
> Bradley Thorton - breached (by double) on 15 April
> Patrick Corliss - breached by double on 14 and 16 April
> Roeland Meyer - breached on 11, 12, 13, 15 and 17 April
> Dave Crocker - breached on 13 and 14 April
> Kent Crispin - breached on 17 April
>
> I am in no way asking for these people to be "disciplined" also.  I merely
> suggest that the decision to suspend Mr Walsh on *the grounds stated* be
> revisited as it seems on the published grounds, there are another half dozen
or
> more people who have done much the same.
>
> Deciding whether a post is abusive or not is always going to be a subjective
> judgement of some sort.  However applying a posting limit should IMO be done
> far more objectively.

Whilst you are not asking for these people to be disciplined, this is, in fact,
a likely effect of your complaint as you clearly recognise.  A similar effort is
required to counter Mr Walsh's argument that there is, or was, no limit in the
first place.

However, you do have a valid point.  In this respect, I would advise that there
has never been any intention to enforce the daily limit blindly.  The intention
of the restriction was to reduce the overall "noise" on the list.

Thus if a person occasionally goes over the limit, and posts six or even seven,
emails, I would personally not consider this of utmost gravity.  But what we are
talking about here, as far as I can see, is a systematic and deliberate breach
of list protocols.  This is exactly the problem, and the harm, that the posting
rules were introduced to combat in the first place.  It is not a minor matter.

There are many examples of "flame wars" on this and other lists.  My feeling is
that we have constructive work to do and even your post is not assisting that
task.  I have, for example, spent much of the past week working on list research
and debate.

To make it clear I am not just talking about an hour or two, here or there, I am
talking about sustained effort for days and days.  With very little to show for
it.  In fact, I genuinely feel this is very much a wasted effort unless we have
your support.

As I have been named (and now warned) I have checked my posts for the days in
question.  This is not a trivial task because I am in Australia and perhaps 19
hours difference in time from the West Coast of the States.  The details are
below for ease of checking by anyone on the list who feels they need to do that.

On 14 April 2001, the list archive shows that I made no less than 9 postings.
By my Australian time five of these postings were made on 14 April and four were
made on 15 April 2001.  The list archive shows one posting was made on 15 April

So this brings my posting to the exact limit of five on both 14 and 15 April.

The 16 April is more problematic.  The list archives show 16 postings but, by my
Australian time 10 of the were made on 17 April 2001.  This leaves 6 postings on
the 16 April.  One of these, the last post on my 16 April  was an official
notice about "Excessive Postings".  It was my reminder to the list of the
posting limit.

So this brings my posting to the exact limit of five on 16 April also.

However, I am now left with 10 postings on 17 April  2001.  This was, of course,
the day that I tried to bring the list to order in my official capacity as
Co-Chair.

POSTINGS ON 17 APRIL 2001

(1)    Re: [ga] I want to be on the Inclusive Name Space SIG ML
(2)    [ga] The International Association of Top Level Domains ("IATLD")
(3)    Re: [ga] List Monitors Needed
(4)    [ga] Chinese Internet
(5)    [ga] Keeping Up The Barriers
(6)    [ga] List Rules and Protocols
(7)    [ga] Re: List Rules and Protocols
(8)    [ga] Rules of Order for the Mailing Lists of the General Assembly
(9)    [ga] Fw: [PRIVATE] List Rules and Protocols
(10)    Re: [ga] Re: [PRIVATE] List Rules and Protocols

By my count, five of these namely (2), (3), (6), (7) and (8) were clearly
official
And without checking, I think you'll find that I signed them as such.

So this brings my posting to the exact limit of five on 17 April also.

It is clear that I have taken great care to maintain my posting rate at exactly
the five posts per day limit.  The fact that I reminded other people about the
limit shows the genuine nature of my compliance.  I ask the the Chair to lift
the warning

You noted that Christopher Ambler breached the posting limit on 12, 14, 15
April.  You will also recall that much of this was a debate with Mr Walsh.  I
leave each of you to make your own judgment on its merits.  Mr Ambler is not now
subscribed.

However, it was to minimise such unnecessary posting that I posted the onlist
reminder of the posting limts on 16 April, my local time.  I also intervened the
next day.  It is as clear to me as could be that officials are entitled to
expect some co-operation and goodwill from those who only so recently elected
them.

On Thursday, April 19, 2001 1:53 AM (AEST)
William X. Walsh <william@userfriendly.com> wrote:

> Wednesday, April 18, 2001, 5:55:04 AM, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> > Thank you for the counting.
> > William Walsh had been previously warned about the posting limit, and has
> > chosen to go on "shouting".
>
> No limit was in effect.  In fact, no limit is in effect today.

Many reference have been made to the posting limit and it was clearly adopted by
the present administration by my posting addressed to Mr Ambler and Mr Walsh.