Re: [ga] Re: iCANN's protection

> I'm sorry, but I think your analysis of ICANN-as-monopoly is *very*
> far from describing ICANN's real behavior or its real nature or even
> it's possible nature.

Wrong.  It is acting as if it were, in fact, a monopoly which desires
to control an entire industry based on its own arbitrary standards
and does not allow all industry members to participate.

I think a far better model for ICANN would be a
> professional society, or a industry standards body.  I'm thinking of
> organizations like the American Bar Association, or the American
> Medical Association, or the American Institute of Certified Public
> Accountants, or the Underwriters Laboratories (Sorry these are all
> american institutions -- just the ones I'm familiar with).

These are all trade associations whose memberships require that
they be involved in the industry as a whole.  The associations,
themselves, do not "certify" the accountants, attorneys or
manufacturers.  They do determine some best practices and
technical/professional standards, but do not require that members
meet them all.  They are, instead, guidelines to which members
strive.  The UL is different in that it "rates" and "approves" products
to carry their seal of approval.

ICANN, OTOH, acts like a governance body that imposes its own
"law" in the form of discriminating against those who will not
contract with them to adopt their arbitrary policies and refuses to
include those who would qualify under membership rules in a trade
association of the type you mentioned above.  As a matter of fact,
the very entities who should be "members" are not allowed a voice
at all.

In actuality, ICANN is a closed organization open only to backers.
They have no membership among interested relevant parties except
for a few select interests.  The majority of interested parties may
comment, but not participate in any material sense.

These kind
> of organizations have quasi regulatory powers; they are frequently
> recognized by law; they are monopolies.

Actually, they do not.  The ABA lobbies heavily, but does not make
law or rules for the public to follow.  Neither does the AMA.  The do
some self regulation and also lobby heavily for legislation.  They do
not force the public to conform to their policies or contracts.  They
cannot supercede any law of any jurisdiction with any of their
decisions and do not have any authority, implied or otherwise, on
individuals in the public sector.  Are they influential?  Oh my yes, as
a powerful lobby.  Can they make policy to govern the public and
business directly?  No.

Does ICANN absolutely - via UDRP, registry/registrar contracts...

 However, NONE of them have an
> "at-large membership" that makes them "accountable" to the public at
> large.

Why would they.  They are trade/professional associations.

Neither does ICANN.  It never really did, as referenced in the
bylaws.  It has never been accountable to the public, or even its
own peers.  It has provided a forum for public comment in order to
pay lip service to it, but pays little or no attention to those who
speak up if those spokespersons are in opposition to the party line.
As one congressperson put it, "They answer to no one but almighty
God."  Another wondered if they even answer to him.

Instead, they rely on the fact that the entities involved
> compete against each other, but have a common interest in standards.
> The decisions made by these bodies most certainly have an impact on
> the general public, but the general public doesn't have direct
> representation.

Of course not.  Why would a non-attorney have input into the ABA
or a non-medical doctor have input into the AMA?  However, should
a TLD holder or registry have input into the technical standards for
the way TLDs are operated?  Root operators for the way roots are
handled?  Should they be represented or dictated to by fiat?  If you
were an attorney, would you expect to become a member of the
ABA if you so chose?  Would you wish to have the ABA dictate
where you could practice and what type of practice you could have?

ICANN has more than an impact on the public.  Its policies directly
attempt to govern the internet used by the public and determines
what the public will or will not be allowed to use, purchase, interact
with or participate in any way.  It governs outside of any legally
recognized legislative jurisdiction and without legal authority as
opposed to a trade association which deals with participants in a
limited spectrum and whose polices affect only its members.  ICANN
has the ability to control the world's internet if it is allowed to run
roughshod on its peers in the industry - TLD holders and root
managers - as well as the public.  It has the power and is using it
to destroy individuals, businesses and organizations while disallowing
those it injures from having any meaningful direct participation.

It is, in fact, an organization that answers to no one, avoids the
APA by design (Representative Pickering) and is backed by a very
select group of special interests.

It needs reform, badly.

Mind you, I am not saying that an organization could not be an
asset to the Internet in determining technical standards with input
from relevant participants, but it should not be allowed to exclude
any relevant participants in the industry or the public which it is
supposed to serve.  It should, instead be controlled by a wide
representation of all relevant participants.  It should not have any
power to supercede any national or local laws in any nation.  It
should have no control over private business models and should not
interfere with private business, according to its MOU.

Leah