[ga] sub-ML for the request of a WG-Inclusive Name Space Management

Dear Chair, and all,
further to your public personal letter to Philip Sheppard, I have submitted
a motion to the Chair to create a dedicated sub-ML to the end of discussing
and documenting the request of a WG to review and advise the management of
the Inclusive Name Space by the ICANN. I gave a large number of reasons why
this is an important and urgent issue involving many concerns in all the
areas of involvement of the iCANN. I then asked those interested to let you
and the GA know it.

1. That motion has been seconded.
2. a realistic number of person have indicated their intent to participate
to expect now this ML to be well set-up an managed
3. the discussion is yet under dislodgement under the GA. But it is
unfortunately uncoordinated and confusing because of a lack of a moderator
and of the definition of a glossary permitting all the contributors to
understand each other and therefore to work together.

I understand that Easter time do not favor a quick response of yours. But
the delay is not in favor of a peaceful and studious cooperation.

I therefore propose all the interested parties the following glossary as a
basic tool. I certainly realize that these definition will be criticized:
as my target is not to start a dispute but to help a dialog without dispute
on the meaning of the words when we can avoid it, I suggest you then
propose your own words with you own definitions. I also suggest you use
other words so we do not have alternate meanings for the same word.

Name/Meaning (I note that the request for a WG-INSM is iCANN related, not
"alternative" root related. Would this ML not discuss any "alternative"
root matter, there would a very large number of subjects. Therefore the
glossary here proposed is not "alternative" root relate, however it should
allow to also discuss 'alternative" root matters).

Name Space:
a mathematical understanding of all the names of any length and any
structure that the human being may think of in his different languages.

Inclusive Name Space:
a restriction of this name space including all the strings corresponding to
the DNS definition:
- a string corresponding to the Registry (TLD)
- a string corresponding to the Registrant (SLD)
- none, one or several strings decided by the Registrant.
- these strings using only the character set accepted by the DNS
Remark: there is no reference here to any legal, national, historic, legacy
or controversy aspect. This is a pure technical definition.

Legacy
the part of the Inclusive Name Space using TLDs according to RFC 920. It is
to be noted that Jon Postel foresaw a broad extension of the number of TLDs
and that questioned at the GAC open session in MDR an iCANN Director
responded that there could be one million of TLDs..

NIC (Network Information Center):
common wording for the organization operating a TLD service (in the
InterNIC locution for example)

RSC (Root Service Center)
by analogy to the NIC, wording for an organization operating a Root
Service. (Beware: this locution is accepted with different meanings for the
C in different circles, including the so called "alternative" spheres. It
must NOT be confused with the ORSC where the C means confederation).
The iCANN is for some the only RSC, for others it is the largest RSC.

A-Root
This is he file maintained by the iCANN to permit the resolution of the DNs
of the Legacy.

Augmented-Root
this is one root including the a-root and others TLDs used by an RSC trying
to propose its users the broadest access to the Inclusive Name Space.

Alternative TLDs
an historical wrong naming for non Legacy TLDs coming from the name of one
of its supporter (AlterNIC). The managers of these TLDs do not want to set
up an alternative to the legacy, but to have the a-root accepting all the
non conflicting TLDs as the augmented root does.

WorldWide Alliance of ccTLDs
the ccTLD alliance. ccTLDs being TLDs reserved to the national NICs

TLDA
the TLD Association. Open to all the TLD manager (including legacy TLDs and
ccTLDs). Among others, it actively supports the anti-collision effort of
the whole Internet Community in documenting every TLD date, manager,
contact, etc... to the attention of the RSC

DN (Domain Name)
Inclusive Name Space string destined to be resolved by the DNS system and
assigned to a registrant in a given TLD

MSN (Member Site Name)
Inclusive Name Space string destined to be resolved by the DNS system and
identifying a Site of a Member of a multiorganization TLD set up according
to RFC 920. This corresponds to cooperative, associative, co-owned TLDs.

Alternative Names
generic designation of other Inclusive Name Space string types destined to
be resolved by the DNS system. This may correspond to telephone number,
rules, patterns, dynamic data, etc... as per existing or foreseeable RFCs

DNS
a public system documented by several RFC and supported by public domain
program that permits to resolve an Inclusive Name Space string into an IP
address.

iCANN
an non profit no member corporation under the Californian law that has been
delegated among others by the USG the management of the a-server of the
a-root with the purpose of deregulating this management and to open the
Internet to all.

Digital Divide
the divide between people using the Internet and people not able to
(plainly) user the Internet due to economical, political or technical reasons.

TLD Divide
forumula used by some to report the divide between RSCs due to political,
historical, economical reasons. Such a divide exists between the iCANN and
most of the non legacy TLDs and with some ccTLDs.

virus.com
a generic word to define the virus programs aiming at blocking .com or
other TLD. This goes from some variats of MTX_.exe, to the press alleged
virus from german hackers to change the default root on machines, to the
current rumor about the sticking porn.com version of the New.net plugg-in
rerouting call to .com sites to porn sites.

King of Ireland Policy (keep from KIP)
an expression to name the iCANN policy to call on the GAC to control the
ccTLDs and non legacy TLDs, as a King of Ireland called on the King of
England against another King of Ireland.

I hope that such a first glossary try that we should post on the future
sub-ML site may help us work better or to better disagree, I mean to be
more constructive in disagreeing as we will understand each other and will
be more precise.

All the best to all of you.

Jefsey