Re[2]: [ga] I want to be on the Inclusivbe Name Space SIG ML

Hello Leah,

Sunday, April 15, 2001, 7:24:58 AM, JandL wrote:

> Dassa, I'm not going to re-argue the same thing over and over
> again.  There is ONE NAME SPACE - ONE DNS.

That doesn't parse Leah.

There are multiple namespaces.

This is a simple fact, and in fact is the best argument the
alternative root systems have, is that they are a competitive root
offering.

The one namespace argument lends itself to support the position of
centralized control, which lends itself to ICANN.  It also lends
credence to the argument over confusion and regulation, and in the
event that it is determined that having "two" .biz's would lead to
instability, there are some important arguments that will be used
against the one in the alt.root space.

1) that the ICANN process carries the imprimatur of the government
process (and is the type of centralized control structure that our
government and representatives prefer to see)

2) the argument will be made that it is the alternative roots that are
introducing the instability by not being subject to the type of
centralized control mentioned above

3) and I know you won't like this one, but the bottom line is and
always will be market share.

I think the issue here is that the conflict over .biz is an issue of
bad timing for the alt.root .biz.  It's not yet in a position to
assert itself.  Had there been another year for .biz before having to
have a face off with ICANN, the issues might be very different.

The alt.root community needs to ask itself if it wants to turn .biz
into the line in the sand, and force the face off with ICANN now, or
not fight this particular battle and wait until they are in a better
position visibility wise to raise this issue with regard to some
future TLD.

You say you have argued this over and over, but I have to say the case
has not been made persuasively or logically.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com