Re: [ga] I want to be on the Inclusivbe Name Space SIG ML

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> In order to document the Chair on the number of people that would
> participate to a ML on the iCANN management  of the inclusive name space
> (the whole name space available to Internet names), ...

That's a contradiction. By definition, the "inclusive" namespace includes
ICANN's space plus others things, and ICANN cannot manage things outside
the space it manages.

Given the way DNS works, anyone can set up their own root with an "inclusive"
name space. My root might, for example, point to .cat and .dog on my own
servers, but point to ICANN-authorized servers for .com. .net, ...

This works fine provided there are no collisions. If either I try to use
.org or ICANN decides to use .dog, chaos ensues unless one of us changes
the name or scraps their root server entirely.

Scrapping ICANN's root servers isn't worth discussing; too much depends on
them. (Scrapping ICANN might make sense, if any reasonable alternative were
visible, but even then, you'd keep the servers.) So the only solutions to
a collision are:

	change the ICANN name
	change the other name
	scrap the other root server

The "alternate root" people have tried to make a business out of building
such inclusive roots and selling space in them.

Now there's a collision. .biz exists in one of the alternate roots, but
ICANN just decided to create a .biz in its root.

( Methinks that was a bad decision. There's an obvious possible confusion
  with .bz, so I don't think ICANN should allow .biz. )

Assuming the folks running the non-ICANN .biz do not want to scrap their
servers (which might scrap their business), the available alternatives
are:

	persuade ICANN to drop .biz (not likely)
	change the non-ICANN TLD name (upsets customers)
	negotiate some sort of deal that gets their customers moved
	  into the new, authorized, .biz

I see ICANN dropping .biz as highly unlikely. It is a desirable name, they'd
almost certainly be sued by the people they just gave it to, and backing down
on the decision would make them look extremely foolish.

Methinks the people running the non-ICANN .biz should be trying to arrange
some sort of deal with the new ICANN .biz folks. The former presumably have
customers; the latter need customers. Maybe some sort of deal is possible.