Re: [ga] ICANN benefits

At 06:53 PM 4/6/2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Dave Crocker wrote:
> > Trademark conflicts were ambiguous and expensive.  In fact, NSI gave
> > trademark holders much more power than they have in law.  Now we have the
> > UDRP and things are vastly more straight-forward and vastly cheaper.
>
>Dave forgot to add "for the trademark interests."
>
>The current system merely institutionalizes trademark favortism.

The law in most countries "institutionalizes trademark favortism".  It has
done that rather longer than ICANN has been around...

If you mean that the UDRP provides ADDITIONAL benefits to trademark
holders, well, that becomes a finer point of debate.

As has been noted frequently, the UDRP needs enhancement.  But let's not
attribute more precedent to it or ICANN than is valid.

d/