Re[2]: [ga] serious participation in ICANN processes

Hello Thomas,

Tuesday, April 03, 2001, 2:12:29 PM, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Now, if the clear intent of the California law was that anyone who's
> asked by board resolution to vote for board seats is a member in the
> sense of the California code, why did the legislation put in that
> note on a SPECIFIC PROVISION?

How do you know the clear intent?

One of the things the courts look at in clear intent is not always the
literal interpretation of the words, but the statements by the
authors and others in the legislature when the law was being drafted
and debated.

> I'm sorry, but I don't buy Karl's argument here, since it boils down
> to very little: His opinion on the INTENT of the California law, as
> opposed to it's WORDS.

The courts will tell you the strict wording is not as important as the
interpretation of the meaning and intent.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com