Re: Re[8]: [ga] GA position on Verisign contract

William,

> > If I had the wrong perception, I apologize.
> > On one point though I insist: the focus of the current debate was on
>option
> > A vs. option B, not the change of the charter. To make a consensus call
>on
> > something that was not stated as the subject of the debate (even if it
>has
> > implications) can be exposed to criticism and dilute the value of the
> > position on the main statement.
>
>I disagree. The FAQ clearly shows that the issue of .org's charter was
>an integral part of the talks between the two parties, and that makes
>it very much a part of the discussion of this agreement.
>
>The decision to turn it over to a non-profit entity appears to be a
>final decision if Plan B is approved, according to the staff answers
>in the FAQ.
>
>That was why everyone was pushing for a strong statement on that as a
>part of the comments of this agreement.

I have spent some time in going again through the 587 messages from
2001-03-08 to 2001-03-25, when I have sent the report.

I might have overlooked something for the second time, but my findings are
the following:

In favour of the change of the charter of .org: 0

Against the change of the charter of .org (not just opposition to evict
current names): 7 - details of the messages follows
Marc Schneiders (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00874.html)
William X. Walsh (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00877.html)
Jefsey Morfin (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01003.html)
Kendall Dawson (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01019.html)
DPF (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01021.html)
Roberto Gaetano (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01072.html)
Andy Gardner (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01247.html)
David Farrar with the caveat that he did not estimate a good idea to focus
on it, and myself with the caveat that I stated that it should not be part
of the negotiation.

Against the removal of names (but no mention about the change of charter): 5
Dassa (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00991.html)
Peter de Blanc (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00995.html)
Patrick Corliss (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00898.html)
Joop Teernstra (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01009.html)
YoFelipe (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01082.html)
Marilyn Cade (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg01249.html)
some of which even made clear that the one was incorrelated with the other.

Participated to the discussion about the contract, without expressing
opinion on the subject of the .org charter change: 34, below in
alphacbetical order
Alexander Svensson
Andrew Moulden
Andy Gardner
Bret Fausett
Bruce James
Christopher Ambler
Dale Farmer
Darrell Greenwood
Dave Crocker
Eric Dierker
Eric Weisberg
Erica Roberts
Erick Iriarte Ahon
Gomes, Chuck
Harald Alvestrand
Harald Alvestrand
James Seng
JandL
Jeff Williams
Joanna Lane
Joe Gluza
Jonathan Weinberg
Ken Stoen
Kent Crispin
Kevin J. Connolly
Michael Froomkin
Michael Schneider
Patrick Greenwell
Roeland Meyer
Sandy Harris
Siegfried Langenbach
Sotiris Sotiropoulos
Thomas Roessler
vint cerf

If I misunderstood somebody, can the misunderstood party point out to me the
message that I have overlooked, or misinterpreted?

>The .org issue is a BIG part of these contracts, and it deserved to be
>a part of our position.

Indeed.
I also think that it will be a big mistake to change the charter "en-route",
and my guess is that also other people (maybe the majority) will have strong
feeling on this, but for the time being it is just a guess, not backed up by
facts. The only way to proceed is not to invent a consensus that has not
been expressed (yet), but to address this particular issue in a straw poll
or vote, after discussion.

Regards
Roberto