From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of William
X. Walsh
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 4:00 AM
To: Dassa
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re[2]: [ga] .org: non-profit successor for NSI mandatory?

Hello Dassa,

Thursday, March 15, 2001, 11:12:15 PM, Dassa wrote:

> [...]

ICANN
|>> delegate significant policy authority over .org to any new body; rather,
if
|>> restrictions are to be placed on registration on .org, they should be
|>> imposed by ICANN itself, in full public view and with the benefit of
public
|>> comment.  And it is not an easy thing (as the DNSO itself demonstrates)
|>> simply create a new, well-functioning, representative organization
whenever
|>> ICANN staff think it would be convenient to have one.

> I haven't seen any "furor" over who takes over the Registry on .org, that
is an
> unknown at this stage.  The only complaints I have seen revolve around the
idea
> of those already holding registrations in .org may be asked to give up
their
> domain names if their organisation doesn't fit into some yet to be defined
> criteria.

Most of the criticism I have seen goes further, to any change in the
policy for .org registrations, saying essentially that if they want a
restricted TLD, they should create a new one for it, regardless of any
possible exemptions for existing domain holders.

Where this would get really interesting, is that there are a number of
non-commercial third level domain registries running under .org second
level domains, and there are sites in that namespace that are
commercial in nature.

ICANN needs to not even open this can of worms.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com