RE: Re[2]: [ga] .org: non-profit successor for NSI mandatory?

True and I did gloss over this aspect.  It is a fact .org has been operating
unrestricted for some time and that any change would have an impact regardless
of how existing registrations were treated.

|> Where this would get really interesting, is that there are a number of
|> non-commercial third level domain registries running under .org second
|> level domains, and there are sites in that namespace that are
|> commercial in nature.

I am involved in a third level domain registry that operates under .org.
Although with the operations I'm involved in under .org, it would be possible to
change over to a non-profit organisational structure to protect our users, a lot
would depend on any actual criteria defined by any restrictions placed on the
TLD.  I will be following developments closely.  My own organisation services
over 160,000 users and a large number of these hold hostnames under domains we
have in .org.  BTW...we provide services to these users for free.

|> ICANN needs to not even open this can of worms.

It will certainly be a can of worms.  Especially given the numbers of those that
actually participate in ICANN operations as compared to those affected.  One of
the things I find most disappointing is the fact that so few dictate how the
majority are affected.  Even adding up the numbers of those in the
constituencies, there is not much true representation at present.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.