Re[3]: [ga] let's focus on making sure that, in the various forums, we can ask substantive questions

Hello Jonathan,

Tuesday, March 06, 2001, 1:20:46 PM, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> At 01:11 PM 3/6/2001 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>>Hello Jonathan,
>>
>>Tuesday, March 06, 2001, 11:57:30 AM, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>> >          I agree with Roberto that discussion related to the chair
>> election
>> > and the DNSO review should be the GA's top priorities for
>> Melbourne.  Given
>> > the discussion that has taken place on the list already, those are the
>> > issues on which it will be both possible and useful to generate a GA
>> "sense
>> > of the room" in advance of the NC meeting and the Board's public
>> > forum.  There's no time in Melbourne for the GA to do meaningful work on
>> > the issues raised by the proposed new TLD and Verisign contracts.
>>
>>The GA Chair election really isn't much of a subject of discussion for
>>a face 2 face meeting, since a nomination and election process is
>>already underway and has started.
> [snip]

>          Well . . . it hasn't, actually.  At least so far as the DNSO
> secretariat is concerned, the official nomination period will begin on
> March 16, and the voting on the nominated candidates will begin on March
> 31.  http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc06/msg00637.html
> But if the GA members meeting in Melbourne find the election procedures
> uncontroversial and can wrap up that agenda item quickly, all the better --
> there'll be more time left for other matters.

Shouldn't the GA members who find the election procedures
controversial in any way post a message to the GA then?

I am concerned that items are being placed on the agenda to deal with
at the F2F without any prior discussion on the list of the same
issues.  The F2F should be used to cement or work out differences
regarding issues that have been vetted here, and if any concerns about
the election process exist, they have not been put forward here.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com