RE: [ga] let's focus on making sure that, in the various forums,we can as k substantive questions

         Whether the model of a thin, not-for-profit registry with many
competing registrars is the best one for .no seems to me a question that is
entirely the business of Uninett A/S and Norway's Internet
community.  Bret's proposal, though, related to the fact that ICANN staff
are now making important proposals about the registry-registrar structure
of .com, where the model in place differs from Norway's in important
ways.  For one thing, Verisign is not a not-for-profit.  For another, my
guess is that Norway wouldn't allow the registry also to own the largest
registrar (and to provide a wide range of domain-name value-added
services).  It strikes me that some actual economic learning about the
consequences of the actions that ICANN staff are proposing could not be a
bad thing.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com